Bayern Munich star Serge Gnabry tests positive for Covid-19 and will miss match against Atletico Madrid as Bundesliga giants begin Champions League defence
- Forward Serge Gnabry took part in Bayern Munich training on Tuesday
- Hansi Flick had told a new conference all plays were fit to face Atletico Madrid
- Now Gnabry will have to miss the start of Bayern’s Champions League defence
- The German club did not confirm if he could play against Eintracht Frankfurt
Bayern Munich will be without winger Serge Gnabry for their Champions League group game against Atletico Madrid on Wednesday after he tested positive for COVID-19, the German champions said on Tuesday.
The 25-year-old had earlier on Tuesday trained with the team and coach Hansi Flick had told a news conference all players were fit for the start of their title defence.
‘The attacking player feels good and is quarantined at home,’ Bayern said in a statement.
Bayern Munich will be without winger Serge Gnabry after he tested positive for coronavirus
The German will miss the start to their Champions League defence against Atletico Madrid
The Bavarians, who won five trophies in 2020, including the Champions League, face the Spaniards in the first of their group matches in the competition.
Gnabry started for the club at the weekend and played just more than an hour before he was substituted in their 4-1 hammering of Arminia Bielefeld on Saturday.
The Germany international could also miss the Bundesliga champions hosting Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday, though the German club did not confirm he would have to sit out.
Bayern’s following Champions League game sees them travel to Moscow on October 27 for their second clash away to Lokomotiv.
Gnabry scored 23 goals in 46 games in all competitions last season, and also began this campaign by netting three in a 8-0 thrashing of Schalke.
Gnabry played just more than an hour at the weekend as Bayern hammered Arminia Bielefeld