BOLTON’S players have refused to train after being told the money they are due will only be paid back in stages – but they WILL play on Saturday.
However, League Two Bury will NOT play their opening match and may even have their second game suspended.
The Wanderers squad were informed by takeover bidders Football Ventures that they would get the wages that have been missing for five months, but in instalments.
That sparked fury in the camp, many of whom have waited for news while others have also held on despite putting in notices to quit.
Phil Parkinson’s men said no to the offer as they want their money up front as they should do as Football Creditors.
Former players have also been made the same offer, with just 20 per cent up front and the rest on the drip for two years.
The offer confirms that Football Ventures are trying to structure the deal in a way that costs them as little as possible immediately.
On Monday evening the EFL confirmed that Bolton WILL play their opening fixture against Wycombe Wanderers on Saturday, August 3.
Bury will NOT play their opening day game against MK Dons[/caption]
However, Bury will NOT play their opening game against MK Dons – and may not play against Accrington Stanley on August 10.
The Shakers have until midday on Friday, August 2 to hand the EFL the necessary evidence to show how the club will be funded moving forward.
In a statement, the EFL said: “As a result of not meeting Monday’s 5pm deadline, which had been extended on two previous occasions, the EFL Board feels it has been placed in an unenviable position and, regrettably, has opted to take the reluctant decision to suspend Saturday’s opening day fixture with MK Dons.
MOST READ IN SPORT
“As has been the case throughout this entire process, the EFL will continue to offer its full assistance to the ownership at Bury, but remains clear that while the League is here to support the club through some extremely complex and complicated issues, the outstanding matters can only be resolved with the cooperation from the club itself.”
SunSport exclusively revealed earlier this month that a number of players are set to walk out on the cash-strapped club.
And the furious stars refused to play in a friendly match against Chester after claiming they had not been paid for 20 weeks.