Home Sport Borussia Dortmund CEO offers Manchester United hope after failed Jadon Sancho pursuit...

Borussia Dortmund CEO offers Manchester United hope after failed Jadon Sancho pursuit this summer


‘They misjudged the situation’: Borussia Dortmund CEO believes Manchester United got Jadon Sancho pursuit all wrong this summer… but gave fresh hope to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer by insisting ‘you can never say a player is completely unsellable’

  • Hans-Joachim Watzke said there would also be no compromises next summer
  • The German club held firm on their €120m valuation of the England international
  • The 20-year-old scored 20 goals in 44 games for Lucien Favre’s side last season 

Borussia Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke after Manchester United’s protracted and ultimately failed bid for Jadon Sancho, but offered hope that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side could eventually land their man. 

The 20-year-old is one of the hottest properties and scored 20 goals in 44 games last season as Dortmund finished second in the Bundesliga and reached the round of 16 in the Champions League.

United were intent on signing the England international, but Dortmund held firm with an asking price of €120 million (£109m), which the Red Devils were unwilling to match due to the uncertain financial situation caused by Covid-19.

Jadon Sancho was at Manchester City's academy but has been on their rivals' radar for a while

Jadon Sancho was at Manchester City’s academy but has been on their rivals’ radar for a while

Dortmund’s sporting director Michael Zorc said back in August that Sancho would remain at the club for the upcoming season, but the Red Devils felt that their Champions League rivals would relent if the right offer came along. 

The Premier League giants desperately tried to get a deal over the line in the final days and hours, but Sancho’s current employers weren’t entertaining offers and had already decided he would remain at the Westfalenstadion next season.

Watzke said they would not compromise next summer either over the sale of Sancho.

Without mentioning United by name, he said: ‘[They] misjudged the situation. We would be more willing to compromise. We had a clear line and will continue to do so next summer.

‘In this industry, you can never say that a player is completely unsellable.

‘I heard and read everywhere in the spring that Sancho was gone. But he’s here. We had an agreement with him.’

Sancho hasn’t allowed the noise about his potential move to distract him, with the forward assisting Marco Reus in a 1-0 win away at Hoffenheim.

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Can Donald Trump's Mr Untouchable ever recover from Borat honeytrap?

Back in the 1980s, when he burnished his reputation as 'Mr Untouchable' — a fearless and incorruptible young prosecutor on a mission to...

Did Joe Biden actually call Trump xenophobic?

President Trump slammed Joe Biden for calling him “xenophobic” in the early days of the coronavirus outbreak during their debate on Thursday night. But...

Borat 'defends' Rudy Giuliani for 'sexytime' scene as film released

Sacha Baron Cohen stepped back into his Borat character on social media on Thursday to comically defend Rudy Giuliani's scandalous scene in...

Holly Courtier’s sister pushes back against questions about Zion National Park rescue

Holly Suzanne Courtier’s sister on Thursday said it’s a “miracle” the California mom survived in Zion National Park for 12 days with no...

Recent Comments