WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT BELOW
When William Mortimer left for a day’s graft he never expected to return home missing a finger and thumb.
But, after a horrific incident involving a rolling machine, the 61-year-old had to be rushed to hospital where docs were left with no option other than to remove his severed finger and thumb.
Following the nightmare accident, the dad-of-four is now campaigning to ensure that employers prioritise the safety of their workers.
Recalling the incident, William said: “I was horrified when I realised that my hand had entered the machine and just went into total shock.
“I suggested he (a colleague) used a plasma cutter as this would produce a better finish and could be used outside. He proceeded with the angle grinder. It generated so many sparks.”
William was rushed to Luton and Dunstable Hospital, Beds, and later transferred to Lister Hospital, Herts, for further treatment and plastic surgery support.
The labourer was working at Hardall International Limited where they have admitted liability for his injuries that resulted in the labourer being unable to return to work.
A separate health and safety investigation also found six material breaches of laws at the company’s site in Dunstable, Beds.
“I couldn’t make a can of soup for myself, but spill it all down me when I am trying to open it”
He added: “Since my injury, I needed help with so many things. I couldn’t wash the left side of my body or my hair.
“I couldn’t make a can of soup for myself, but spill it all down me when I am trying to open it.
“I’ve been very reliant on my family for support with my wife Maggie having to do a huge amount around the home and others having to drive me to regular appointments and hand therapy.
“I am in constant pain, as well as psychological issues like flashbacks and nightmares.
“I have now been left with reduced strength and grip in my hand which has an impaction on my overall function.
“Washing and dressing remain an issue as does kitchen tasks and participating in my previous hobby of golf and driving.”
Following the horror accident on March 1, 2018, William instructed workplace injury lawyers to help him access specialist care and rehabilitation.
He is now urging companies to always ensure that the safety of workers comes first.