CROMWELL, Conn. — A second PGA Tour player tested positive for COVID-19 when Cameron Champ on Tuesday was forced to withdraw from the Travelers Championship.
At last week’s RBC Heritage Championship at Hilton Head, Nick Watney, feeling symptomatic before playing his second round, tested positive and was forced to withdraw and quarantine for 10 days as per the PGA Tour protocols.
“Champ will have the PGA Tour’s full support throughout his self-isolation period under CDC guidelines,” the tour said in a statement.
Champ, 25, said in a statement, “I feel great physically and I was obviously surprised and disappointed to learn of the test result. It’s important now to take the necessary steps and measures to protect others, including my loved ones.”
Watney was the first PGA Tour pro to test positive.
Champ has made 12 starts in 2019-20, winning the Safeway Open last September. He finished tied for 17th at the Charles Schwab Challenge two weeks ago and didn’t play in last week’s RBC Heritage.
Per PGA Tour protocols, Champ now must self-isolate for at least 10 days.
The PGA Tour is expected to release the full testing results at the completion of the pre-tournament testing process on Wednesday.