The mother of the 5-year-old boy who drowned in Carl Crawford’s pool during a party last month claims the former Dodgers star outfielder is responsible for her son’s sudden death and she’s now suing him for over $1 million.
In court documents obtained by TMZ Sports, Liban Hersi is accusing the ballplayer-turned-record producer for not having proper safety measures or fencing around the pool that her son drowned in on May 16.
Hersi said her son was visiting Crawford with a family friend for a party at the 38-year-old’s mansion in Harris County, Texas, according to court docs. She mentions in the documents that Crawford’s massive pool on the property had no fencing and that the longtime MLB star didn’t take any precautions to protect her child from entering the pool.
After Hersi’s son fell in, another partygoer jumped in after him and they both drowned.
The party goer was 25-year-old Bethany Lartigue, a professional football player who lived in Dallas. She was not related to the little boy, Lartigue’s brother told the Houston Chronicle.
Hersi is now suing for wrongful death and asking for over $1 million in damages, noting that Crawford didn’t have an alarm system set up for the pool, which she described as having an “unreasonably dangerous” design.
“My Hearts Heavy,” Crawford wrote about the incident on social media days after. “The tragic events that occurred at my home will be with me forever. I’m at a loss for words I’ve struggled all week to manage my emotions and I keep thinking of the families of those who’ve passed and their grief, I know they have it the hardest.”
“They are the first and last thing I think of these days. Please keep them in your prayers, I know they will always be in mine.”
Requests to Crawford’s reps for comment from TMZ Sports went unanswered.
The former All-Star outfielder, who retired in 2016, was also arrested on assault charges on June 5 over an incident with his ex-girlfriend.