Home Sports Clint Frazier reveals how scary concussion haunted him

Clint Frazier reveals how scary concussion haunted him

0


Had Clint Frazier said last year what he did Sunday it would have been easier to understand his defensive problems a year ago, when he was sometimes hesitant to charge balls and dive after them.

This year Frazier has been very good at the plate and in the field. So good that Aaron Boone said when Aaron Judge returns from the IL, Frazier isn’t going to vanish from the lineup.

As for the improved defense, Frazier referenced the concussion he suffered in 2018 for last season’s struggles.

“Last year was tough. I didn’t speak as much on how much the concussion stuff was bothering me out there. I was having issues with my depth perception and issues with not wanting to run into the wall and have it happen again,’’ said Frazier, who went 2-for-3 from the cleanup spot in Sunday’s 3-1 win over the Orioles. “I felt symptoms last year at times but wanted to play. I struggled with it. I feel I am back to where I was but a little bit better because I feel confident. I am getting really good jumps on the ball and whether I have to dive for the ball or not I feel confident out there right now where as in the past a little more gun shy and didn’t want to dive. I feel really good out there.’’

Boone said whenever Judge returns from the IL he will be the right fielder, but that shouldn’t be taken as a knock on Frazier.

“Clint is very much in this mix. It may be more left-field reps for Clint but Clint has earned his way into our lineup on a regular basis,’’ Boone said of Frazier, who has been his cleanup hitter in 16 straight games. “He continues to play extremely well on both sides of the ball. I think it is going to make us deeper and excited about that. But Clint has earned a significant role on this team.’’


When the Yankees open a crucial three-game series against the Blue Jays on Tuesday night at Yankee Stadium they will hand the ball to Deivi Garcia despite it being the 21-year-old’s fourth big-league start.

With the way the Yankees’ rotation set up, Garcia, who beat the Blue Jays in Buffalo on Wednesday, was the logical choice because they weren’t going to bring Gerrit Cole back on short rest.

Clint Frazier
Clint FrazierCharles Wenzelberg/New York Post

Cole will start Wednesday and Masahiro Tanaka goes Thursday.

When Garcia started against the Blue Jays last week the Yankees were on a four-game losing streak, had lost 15 of the previous 20 games and were a half-game ahead of the Orioles for the final AL wild-card spot.

Garcia responded with a seven-inning outing in which he allowed two runs, five hits, struck out six and didn’t issue a walk in a 7-2 victory that calmed the turbulent waters in the Yankees’ universe.

That was the biggest game of the shortened season and Tuesday night will be bigger because it will be later in the 60-game schedule.

Asked Sunday if when he thought about reaching the big leagues did Garcia expect his early starts to be in such big moments, Garcia said reaching the big leagues came quickly, but the preparation helped him be ready for big moments.

“That has always been in my head and the goal,’’ said Garcia, who pitched at three levels of the Yankees’ system last year and turned 21 this past May. “It did happen fast for me but at the same time, the preparation and many years of work and continuous preparation has allowed me to feel comfortable here.’’

It showed the first time he faced the Blue Jays. Now the Yankees need a similar outing against a team they are competing with for second in the AL East which guarantees a spot in the postseason.

Since the Blue Jays hitters will see him for the second time inside a week Garcia was asked if he has to change anything he did Wednesday.

“I don’t think so. The plan of attack is based on aggressiveness and being competitive out there, that’s the bottom line,’’ Garcia said. “Being competitive and able to execute.’’


Aroldis Chapman’s appeal of his three-game suspension will be heard Monday via Zoom. Chapman appealed the ban he received for buzzing the Rays’ Mike Brosseau’s head with a 101 mph fastball on Sept. 1 at Yankee Stadium that led to the dugouts clearing after Brosseau struck out to end a 5-3 Yankees victory.


Giancarlo Stanton and Gio Urshela were at the alternate site in Scranton on Sunday getting at-bats in simulated games. Boone said Urshela and Jonathan Loaisiga could come off the IL on Tuesday providing neither has a setback. Loaisiga was scheduled to throw a bullpen session at the Stadium on Sunday.

“[Stanton] will probably get two or three at-bats [Sunday] in a game but also go through his pregame and see how that goes and probably do that again on Monday,’’ Boone said.

Judge took batting practice indoors on Sunday when he fielded fly balls and ground balls in right, threw to second base, participated in agility drills and ran the bases.

“There is a chance if that all goes well he could go down to Scranton [Monday] and get some at-bats but we have to get through [Sunday],’’ Boone said of the right fielder who has played one game since Aug. 12 due to a strained right calf.


Clarke Schmidt was optioned to the alternate site after Sunday’s game. The move likely clears a roster spot for Loaisiga.

J.A. Happ had a measured answer Sunday when asked about the possibility of the postseason using a bubble to house players and the players maybe having to enter the bubble for a week prior to the playoffs beginning.

“That’s a tough question to answer. I think all sides are trying to do the best they can. I my particular situation it’s tough to transfer my family to be in a hotel for seven days so that is something I think we are going to do,’’ said Happ, who has a young family. “It’s tough. It’s been a challenge this season. I don’t have anything else on that.’’

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here