COPS searching for the victims of a serial killer on Cyprus have found the remains of a woman in a suitcase at the bottom of a lake.
It is the fourth body to be found by officials in what is believed to be the island’s first serial killing.
Greek-Cypriot army officer Nicos Metaxas has confessed to killing seven women and girls, all of foreign descent.
The fourth body was found on Sunday in a suitcase in a man-made like in the village of Mitsero, 20 miles west of the capital, Nicosia.
Police started searching the area after the 35-year-old suspect told investigators he had put three of his victims into suitcases and thrown them in the toxic red lake.
Cops said the body was in an advanced stage of decomposition when it was found.
Tests are being carried out to confirm the woman’s identity.
Metaxas was detained last week and has been helping police locate the bodies.
If his claims are correct, he would be responsible for the worst crime committed against Cypriot women in living memory.
He was arrested after officials found the body of Marry Rose Tiburcio, 38, from the Philippines, in an abandoned mineshaft on April 14.
She and her six-year-old daughter had been missing since May last year.
The girl is yet to be found and authorities believe she was also slain by the suspect.
‘WE WANT JUSTICE’
Divers entered the reservoir to search for her but have not found her body yet.
While investigating her death, police found another body in the flooded mineshaft 32 kilometers (20 miles) west of the capital, Nicosia.
Cypriot media have identified the victim as 28-year-old Arian Palanas Lozano, also from the Philippines.
Investigators now think the missing six-year-old was killed, too.
On Thursday, the suspect told them while under questioning about four more victims and gave directions to a military firing range.
Cops told a court during the suspect’s remand hearing that the soldier had admitted to strangling one of the victims he met online after having sex with her.
MORE ANSWERS NEEDED
From the suspect’s statements and information from the investigation, Cypriot police think the other three victims they know about so far are a 31-year-old Filipino woman who has been missing since December 2017, Maricar Valtez Arquiola, and a Romanian mother and daughter.
Cypriot media identified the mother as Livia Florentina Bunea, 36, and her 8-year-old daughter as Elena Natalia Bunea.
The two are believed to have been missing since September 2016.
Metaxas is set to appear in court today for another custody hearing.
President Nicos Anastasiades said on Friday that he shared the public’s revulsion at “murders that appear to have selectively targeted foreign women who are in our country to work.”
In a statement, he added: “Such instincts are contrary to our culture’s traditions and values.”
Cyprus police have faced criticism from immigrant rights activists who said they didn’t act quickly enough to locate the victims.
The country has 80 unsolved missing person cases, going back to 1990.
MOST READ WORLD NEWS
Yesterday, hundreds of people turned up for a protest vigil outside Cyprus’ presidential palace Friday to mourn seven women and girls.
In a touching moment, a group of tearful Filipino women held lighted candles and bowed their heads in prayer for the three women and one child of Filipino descent who are believed to be among the victims.
Protest organiser Maria Mappouridou said. “I think deep down, all that we want, what everybody wants, is justice.”
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.