‘Superhuman’ Deontay Wilder is STILL preparing for trilogy fight with Tyson Fury in December, reveals Bronze Bomber’s training partner… despite Gypsy King pulling out in order to secure UK warm up before Anthony Joshua showdown
- Deontay Wilder’s trilogy fight with Tyson Fury was abandoned earlier this month
- The Gypsy King pulled out of the bout to focus on the 2021 Anthony Joshua fight
- Boxer Raphael Akpejiori claims that Wilder will still turn up to the December fight
- Wilder’s training partner also revealed the American does not feel the fight is off
Deontay Wilder is still planning on showing up to the planned fight with Tyson Fury in December despite the bout being called off, according to the American’s training partner.
Sportsmail exclusively revealed this month that the trilogy fight between Fury and Wilder was abandoned in order to pave the way for the Gypsy King’s high-profile 2021 match-up with fellow Brit Anthony Joshua.
But heavyweight boxer Raphael Akpejiori, who works with the same trainer as Wilder over in America, revealed Wilder is still training for the Fury fight later this year.
Deontay Wilder (left) is still planning on doing the trilogy fight with Tyson Fury (right) this year
Wilder’s training partner Raphael Akpejiori (right) claims the American is still planning to fight
Akpejiori told The Sun: ‘I’m just saying from Deontay’s perspective he is ready to go for December. I’m not involved in the politics or anything but one thing I know from Deontay is he is ready to go in December.
‘Deontay is expecting Wilder-Fury in December, I’m just saying what Deontay is expecting.
‘He is expecting Wilder-Fury in December, that’s what he’s been told and that is what he is training for and he’s ready to go.’
Fury (above) pulled out of the event as Wilder’s camp were ‘messing around’ with the fight date
Fury has now turned his attention to the 2021 match-up with Anthony Joshua (above)
The first contest between Fury and Wilder took place in December 2018 and ended in a split decision, though many observers of the fight believed the Gypsy King edged the Los Angeles match-up.
A re-match was arranged in Nevada for February of this year, with Fury coming out on top via a seventh-round technical knockout.
After the end of the second fight, the Briton immediately announced plans for a third fight and preparations were ongoing until this month’s announcement.
After a split decision in the first bout, Fury won the second fight with Wilder earlier this year
Fury confirmed the news after Sportsmail’s exclusive a fortnight ago, telling The Athletic: ‘Wilder and his team were messing around with the date. When they tried moving off December 19 and pushing to next year, enough was enough. I’ve moved on.’
Though Akpejiori claimed Wilder is still planning on turning up to the MGM Arena in Las Vegas and that the ‘superhuman’ preparations for the bout are still going ahead.
The Nigerian added: ‘He has a contract for a rematch I believe, so he has to show up to the arena on that day. Deontay will show up to the arena on that day, that’s what I can tell you.
Akpejiori claims that Wilder (above) will still turn up to Las Vegas’ MGM Arena in December
‘I have conversations with him once a week. To the best of my knowledge he will be in that arena, wherever that fight takes place.
‘He’s in shape, we haven’t sparred just yet, we just workout together. We do a lot of strength and conditioning work together because we share the same trainer obviously.
‘He’s an athlete, he’s a superhuman athlete in his unique type of body and the way he’s carrying himself.’
Despite the claims from Wilder’s camp, Fury has moved his focus towards the fight with Joshua, who is set to take on Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev at the O2 Arena this December.