Home News Donald Trump continues to tout dangerous drug despite health warnings

Donald Trump continues to tout dangerous drug despite health warnings

0


The US President has come under major controversy for his administration’s handling of the coronavirus outbreak. The US has seen the highest number of COVID-19 cases and deaths, sitting at 2,181,597 and 118,265 respectively.

In remarks made to reporters at the White House, President Trump continued to praise hydroxychloroquine (HCQ).

He claimed that other countries have had great success in trials using the drug in their fight against COVID-19.

Trump also said that only US agencies failed to grasp the benefits of the drug.

President Trump has been advocated for the drugs effectiveness since late March, and has also claimed to have been taking the drug himself.

LATEST: Coronavirus LIVE: Huge insight given into impact of protests – as latest death toll issued

The remarks came just hours after the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) revoked the drugs emergency use authorisation due to the drugs risks of complications.

The FDA determined that HCQ does not meet “the statutory criteria” for emergency use, as the drug is unlikely to benefit patients.

FDA chief scientist Denise Hinton wrote in a letter on Monday: “FDA has concluded that, based on this new information and other information discussed in the attached memorandum, it is no longer reasonable to believe that oral formulations of HCQ and Chloroquine (CQ) may be effective in treating COVID-19, nor is it reasonable to believe that the known and potential benefits of these products outweigh their known and potential risks.

“Accordingly, FDA revokes the EUA for emergency use of HCQ and CQ to treat COVID-19.

“As of the date of this letter, the oral formulations of HCQ and CQ are no longer authorised by FDA to treat COVID-19.”

The drug was originally suggested based on several small, anecdotal, non-peer-reviewed reports about HCQ in China in February, which suggested it’s effectiveness.

The FDA’s revocation was based on the results of a clinical trial performed at Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine.

Results from the study of 150 patients, published in the British Medical Journal, showed no signs that patients treated with the drug improved more than those who did not get the drug at any point over the 28-day trial period.

Researchers stopped the study short as a result of its dismal results.

In response to the FDA’s decision, President Trump also told reporters: “I took it and I felt good about taking it.

“I can’t complain about it, I took it for two weeks, and I’m here, here we are.”

Last month, Trump said of the drugs effects on himself:“All I can tell you is, so far, I feel okay.

“It seems to have an impact.

“Maybe it does, maybe it doesn’t…

“You’re not going to get sick and die.”



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here