Home News Family of nine in China dies after eating toxic noodles

Family of nine in China dies after eating toxic noodles



Nine members of the same family in China died after eating spoiled noodles that had been kept in the freezer for nearly a year, authorities said.

The family living in the northeast province of Heilongjiang ate the homemade corn noodles for breakfast on Oct. 5, according to the Independent, citing a state-run media report.

The noodles, made from fermented corn flour, is a common dish in the region.

But hours after chowing down, those who consumed the noodles fell ill, the report said.

Eight of them had been confirmed dead by Oct. 11, and the ninth member was hospitalized but ultimately died on Monday, the outlet reported.

The cause of their deaths was poisoning from bongkrekic acid, a respiratory toxin detected in the noodles, which had been frozen for several months, the outlet reported.

Gao Fei, director of food safety at the Heilongjiang Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, said poisoning from the toxic substance can often be fatal.

“It can cause serious damage to many human organs including the liver, kidneys, heart, and brain,” Gao said.

“Currently, there is no specific antidote. Once poisoned, the fatality rate can be as high as 40 to 100 percent.”

The National Health Commission issued a warning Tuesday to avoid making and eating foods with fermented rice and flour, the state-run outlet China Daily reported.

“Using fresh and unspoiled food materials and frequently changing water when making food can reduce the risk of contamination, but it is best to avoid making and ingesting foods made of fermented grain entirely for safety concerns,” the advisory said.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Tesco: Supermarket to open for 24 hours in run-up to Christmas as shopping rules change

Tesco prides itself on helping its customers - and now it's doing so no matter what the time of day. The supermarket giant has...

Newcastle boss Steve Bruce reveals three stars and a staff member tested positive for Covid

Steve Bruce reveals three first team stars and a staff member...

West Ham manager David Moyes delighted with competition for places

West Ham manager David Moyes delighted with competition for places as...

Arsenal fans fume at club as ticketing system for their first match with fans next week fails

I've waited 9 months and the website crashes so I can't...

Recent Comments