GETTING the car ready for a bank holiday trip?
From filling up, to fixing up, we spend around £574 a year on our motors, say insurers Green Flag.
But these deals-on-wheels can help cut your costs . . .
- MOT: Halfords is offering an MOT, normally worth £54.85, for £10 if you buy one item in store or online until May 15 — and there is NO minimum spend. For example, buy a Halfords Essentials car sponge for 50p and still take advantage. You can even use offer against next year’s MOT, until May 2020 as long as you book in by June 26 this year. SAVING: £44.85
- STEADY SAVINGS: Driving smoothly and steadily can save dosh. The less pressure on the accelerator, the less fuel you using — so avoid sharp braking and accelerate gently. A speed of 50mph to 60mph is generally the most fuel-efficient — saving up to 40 per cent. SAVING: Up to 40 per cent per trip
- SHOP & SAVE: From today, shoppers filling up at Morrisons stations can get 5p off every litre of petrol or diesel when spending £40 or more at the supermarket (not online) before May 6. You’ll receive a voucher at the till that you can then use any time up until May 12. If you fill up a 50-litre tank, that’s £2.50 saved. SAVING: 10p per litre
- PUMP IT UP: If there is no Morrisons near you, shop around to cut your fuel bill. A few simple searches for the best value could save an average of £226 on petrol or £158 on diesel every year, according to the RAC. Try to avoid filling up at expensive motorway service stations and use smartphone apps such as SimpleMotoring to search for the best deals near you. The RAC reckon shopping around can chop 3p a litre off your bill. SAVING: about 3p per litre
- INSURE ’N’ SAVE: If you use your car infrequently, consider “pay per mile” insurance with firms such as Buy Miles, Coverbox and InsureTheBox. One Sun reader recently revealed that, instead of a £1,000 regular insurance policy she had been quoted, switching to pay-per-mile ensured she paid an annual £269.82 then 6.9p per mile after that. With her usage, it added up to about £370 a year. SAVING: Dependent on usage
- PRICES correct at time of going to press. Deals and offers subject to availability.
Deal of the day
GET an Apple iPad Mini 4th Generation, now £246.49 on ebay.co.uk. Enter discount code PERCENT15 at online checkout. Was £289.99.
Shop and save
NAPPY days! Get half-price on Pampers Baby Dry Size 5+ Essential Pack 35 Nappies at Tesco – now £4, was £8.
My Sun Savers fiver
RITA PHILLIPS, of Tunbridge Wells, Kent, says: “I’m saving my Savers fivers to for my 50th wedding anniversary celebration in June.”
- Send us your Savers fiver stories to sunsavers.co.uk/fivers and you will get 28 codes worth £5 if your tip is used. Please include your name and town.
MAKE a splash in this inflatable pool with seats and cup holders for £25 from B&Q, below. Similar at Argos is £49.99.
Reader’s saving tip
MARILYN STEPHENS from Newton Abbot, Devon, says: “When drying towels in a tumble-dryer, put a couple of dry hand towels in too – it cuts down on drying time.”
- Send tips to sunsavers.co.uk/tips and you will get 28 codes worth £5 if your tip is used. Include your name and town.
GET a lunchtime bargain with a chicken and mushroom Pot Noodle for 60p from Morrisons, down from £1.
Hot right now
CHEERS! B&M is selling gin-and- tonic sorbet lollies for £1.59 per two-pack.
Two FREE tickets to day at the races
GET one of more than 10,000 pairs of tickets to horseracing events across the country.
Pick from Newmarket, Nottingham, Epsom Downs and more, with events taking place from May 5 until October 19. Enjoy family fun days, beer festivals, ladies’ days, Eighties nights and summer Saturdays.
From the QIPCO Guineas Festival at Newmarket, to the Investec Derby at Epsom Downs there is something for everyone. Get the full list on the Sun Savers app or at sunsavers.co.uk.
To get your tickets, download the Sun Savers app or join online.
Then go to the “Free Day At The Races” page in the “Offers” section and click “Start Collecting”.
Collect EIGHT Sun Savers codes from those printed daily until May 12. Today’s is on Page 24.
Enter your codes on Sun Savers to unlock booking. Click “Book” and you will get an email with a unique code and steps to claim your tickets on The Jockey Club website.
- 18+ UK residents only. Multiple code collect. Select tickets/events available, subject to availability. 20,000 tickets available in total. First come, first served. Full T&Cs apply. See sunsavers.co.uk
Sign up to the Sun Savers and get FREE cash
JOIN Sun Savers today and you could bag FREE cash just for picking up your favourite paper.
Sun Savers is our fantastic rewards club which gives all readers the chance to take advantage of FREE cash, treats and prizes. That’s right – you can get FREE cash just for picking up the paper.
For every 28 Sun Savers codes you collect, we will give you a fiver to spend however you like.
Sun Savers codes are printed in the paper every day – you can find today’s on Page 20. Check your Sun Savers code then enter it on our free app or sunsavers.co.uk.
Once you have entered your 28th code, we will stick £5 in your wallet. And with Sun Savers, you can also get big discounts on holidays, cinema tickets, days out, beauty kits, festive goodies for the family . . . and much more.
Plus, you will get access to huge competitions where you can win great prizes, from caravans and mortgages to hard cash.
There are tons of opportunities to win big with Sun Savers. To get the Sun Savers app, simply go to the app store and search “Sun Savers”.
It takes just a minute to sign up. Simply enter your name, date of birth and email to get started.
What are you waiting for? Join Sun Savers today and pocket cash from your favourite paper.
Fancy a free fiver?
YOU can get FREE cash with super Sun Savers just for buying your favourite paper.
Our brilliant new rewards club will pay back our most loyal readers.
Just pick up the paper each day to collect your Sun Savers codes and we will GIVE YOU £5 when you have collected 28.
This isn’t a one-off and there is no limit to how much cash you can save.
For every 28 codes you enter, we will give you a fiver. So over the course of a year, that could add up to £65.
We are keeping it super-simple. You don’t have to enter codes from consecutive days, so don’t worry if you forget a day or two.
Download our easy Sun Savers app and quickly scan your code using your smartphone. Or go online and enter your code at sunsavers.co.uk.
To get you on your way, join today and we will put a bonus £1 in your Sun Savers wallet tomorrow. And the good news doesn’t stop with free cash.
With Sun Savers, we give you the best hacks, deals and tips to save money every single day.
TO JOIN: Don’t worry, folks — joining takes just 30 seconds, in three steps.
Every code you enter is a raffle ticket
YOU could win £50,000 in our Sun Raffle – simply by reading the paper.
We know just how expensive life can be. That is why we are going to help by giving away £50k to one lucky reader EVERY MONTH in our Raffle.
To enter, download the Sun Savers app or sign up at sunsavers.co.uk. Then opt in to each month’s Sun Raffle by clicking “Yes!” when prompted and start collecting the codes printed daily inside the paper – scanning in the app or entering online. Today’s code is on Page 20.
most read in money
With every code you enter you’ll earn a ticket into that month’s £50k Raffle. There is no limit to how many tickets you can collect per month, so make sure to enter as many codes as you can to give yourself the best chance of winning.
Start collecting your codes today, as the next giveaway is on Tuesday, April 30. Remember, you’ve got to be in it to win it.
- T&Cs apply. For full terms and conditions, see sunsavers.co.uk.