R&B ARTIST Robert Kelly, also known as R Kelly, has been embroiled in a string of sexual abuse allegations for the last two decades.
An explosive six-part documentary that shines a new light on the accusations aimed at the rapper has since been released. Here’s the latest on the claims.
Where can you watch Surviving R Kelly? Is it on Netflix?
The series, which aired on Lifetime in the US in January, was not broadcasted in the UK until February 5, 2019, on the Crime + Investigation channel.
Those interested can catch the episodes on Tuesdays at 10pm from this date.
You can also find out more about the sexual misconduct allegations against R Kelly , known formally as Robert Kelly, via the BBC Three documentary R Kelly: Sex, Girls and Videotapes available on BBC iPlayer.
The show is not available on Netflix.
What is Surviving R Kelly about?
Surviving R Kelly has been airing on US network Lifetime and sparking deep debates about assault in Hollywood.
The documentary shines a spotlight on allegations of sexual and physical abuse against the R&B singer, which he has strenuously denied.
Made up of six episodes, it features interviews with several women who recount their experiences – all of which Kelly denies.
TMZ has reported the rapper did not watch the series which sources say he feels is simply part of a vendetta.
What’s the latest?
R Kelly has been charged with ten counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse.
The singer is set to appear in court on March 8, the Chicago SunTimes reported citing court records.
But he then handed himself into police on February 23 and appeared in court later that day.
Cook County State’s Attorney Kimberly Foxx said Kelly is expected to appear in court on Saturday for a bond hearing on 10 counts.
She said Kelly faces three to seven years in prison on each count.
Kelly was driven to a Chicago police station in a van with tinted windows before making his way through the gathered media – during which he refused to answer questions.
R Kelly “really doesn’t have any more money”, his lawyer claimed as he was forced to spend a night in jail.
The Grammy-winning R&B star — who has sold 30million albums — was unable to pay a £77,000 bond after he was held on ten sex abuse charges.
Kelly needed to pay one tenth of the $1million total bail set by a judge in Chicago on Saturday.
Attorney Steve Greenberg argued for a lower figure, claiming his client’s “finances are in a mess” after he was dropped by record label Sony last month.
He later suggested others had mismanaged his wealth, although he expects Kelly will be able to come up with the bond money given time.
However yesterday, he was released on $100,000 bail and celebrated by going to a local McDonald’s.
The star had spent three days behind bars after handing himself in to cops on Friday.
Kelly is due to appear in court again on March 22.
Lawyer Michael Avenatti says that he has given prosecutors a second tape allegedly showing singer R. Kelly engaging in sexual acts with an underage girl.
Avenatti, 48, says he is currently representing seven clients — three alleged victims, two parents and two “whistleblowers” — in the investigation against Kelly, reported People.
He tweeted: “I can confirm that we will be providing a second video showing R. Kelly engaged in sexual assault of a minor to prosecutors this morning.
“This tape was recently uncovered in connection with our ongoing nationwide investigation on behalf of victims. Justice must be done.”
The series exposes claims that Kelly forced women to have sex with him when they were underage and held them prisoner[/caption]
What are the R Kelly ‘sex cult’ allegations?
R Kelly has faced previous allegations of sexual misconduct.
The performer was acquitted in 2008 on charges of making child pornography, despite a videotape of an alleged encounter with a 14-year-old girl being shown to prosecutors.
He has denied claims he is “holding young women against their will” in a one-man “sex cult”.
Parents have reportedly told BuzzFeed News that the star, real name Robert Kelly, is keeping six young women at his properties in Atlanta and Chicago.
It’s reported they’re only allowed to use mobile phones provided by Kelly, must call him “daddy,” and can only eat, sleep or wash when he lets them.
Kelly also films their sexual encounters, say the reports.
One young woman Joycelyn Savage has said she is safe and “in a happy place” after her family alleged she was being held by him at a secret location in Atlanta.
She insisted to TMZ that she was fine but refused to answer if she was free to come and go.
Joann (left), appearing with Drea (right) said she hasn’t had any contact from him for a few years but that she still loves him[/caption]
Jerhonda Pace claims she had underage sex with R Kelly at the age of 16 and was “trained” to please him.
She alleges the singer would “physically harm her” and “lock her in a room for days” as punishment.
He was then accused of infecting Faith Rodgers, 19, with an STD on purpose.
She was reportedly in an eight-month relationship with him after meeting him at a gig in San Antonio, Texas and filed the lawsuit for “willfully, deliberately and maliciously” infecting her with herpes.
Kelly has firmly denied these allegations.
In light of the controversy Lady Gaga has vowed to remove a duet she recorded with R Kelly from streaming services and never collaborate with him again.
Her comments, in a lengthy Instagram post late on Wednesday, January 10, followed the television documentary.
R Kelly’s ex-wife Drea has claimed she was verbally, emotionally and sexually abused by the singer – as his own daughter blasted him as “toxic” on GMB.
Drea, 44, and Joann, 21, admitted how difficult it has been hearing allegations against the singer as they know both sides of his personality, “R Kelly the persona and Robert the person”.
MOST READ IN NEWS
The rapper has reportedly been removed from the RCA Label Group website, which is a flagship recording label of Sony Music Entertainment.
Variety, quoting an unidentified source, said Sony Music had decided to “dissolve its working relationship” with Kelly, but that no external announcement would be made.
His music is still available on digital retailers and streaming services.
Campaigners from the #MuteRKelly pressure group delivered a petition signed by some 217,000 people to Sony headquarters in New York City asking the record company to drop the musician.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at email@example.com or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.