Josh Gordon is getting another chance. Antonio Brown is still waiting for his.
The Seahawks have re-signed the talented but troubled wide receiver, his agent David Canter announced on Thursday. Gordon is awaiting the response on his request for reinstatement by the league.
Gordon was suspended indefinitely by the NFL on Dec. 16 for violating its policies on performance-enhancing substances and substances of abuse, his sixth suspension since the 2013 season and fifth for some kind of substance abuse, ESPN.com reported.
Seattle claimed the 29-year-old Gordon off waivers in November after he was released by the Patriots, and he had seven catches for 139 yards for them prior to the suspension.
“Our heart goes out to Josh to have to face this again,” Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said at the time. “The fact that he’s up against it and all, it poses a great challenge to him. Fortunately, he’ll have the benefit of all of the league’s resources to support him and to help him, and we’ll wish him the very best in taking care of business. It was very unfortunate.”
The signing potentially closes the door on Antonio Brown’s chances of landing in Seattle. The Seahawks and Ravens reportedly had interest in Brown after accusations of sexual assault led to his release from the Patriots and an eight-game suspension that starts in Week 1.
ESPN.com reported that, despite the sour ending, the Seahawks appreciated how Gordon handled himself around the team last season. That, in part, was what made him a more likely option than Brown.
“Josh did a really good job with us last year,” Carroll said last month. “He fit in really well. He was part of this team by the way we opened and embraced his coming to us, but also by the way he adapted. So we are very open to that thought, and we’ll see what happens. I don’t know. I can’t tell you what’s going to happen on that.”