Manchester United new boy Alex Telles tests positive for coronavirus, but manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insists defender has no symptoms
- Alex Telles was absent from Man United’s squad against RB Leipzig and Chelsea
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has revealed that the full-back tested positive for Covid-19
- United boss says 27-year-old is asymptomatic and expects him to be back soon
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has revealed that new signing Alex Telles missed Manchester United’s thumping Champions League win over RB Leipzig after testing positive for coronavirus.
Telles only made his debut in United’s opening Group H win over Paris Saint-Germain in France last week following a £13.6million move from FC Porto, but he was absent from the goalless draw with Chelsea at the weekend and again on Wednesday night.
‘He’s been out now for a little while,’ said Solskjaer after United beat Leipzig 5-0 thanks to a Marcus Rashford, a first Champions League goal for Mason Greenwood and an Anthony Martial penalty.
Manchester United new boy Alex Telles has tested positive for the coronavirus
Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insists that the defender does not have any symptoms
‘He’s tested positive for the coronavirus. But he has no symptoms, he’s fine and we can’t wait to get him back.’
Telles, who played for Brazil against Peru and Bolivia in the last international break, is now isolating and unable to train with his teammates at Carrington.
The news prompted messages of support from United fans for the 27-year-old left-back who responded on social media on Wednesday night.
‘Guys, I want to thank you for the messages of affection that I received from the moment that United announced that I have been diagnosed with COVID-19,’ wrote Telles.
‘I want to say that I am fine, isolated and soon I will be back with all my strength to help my teammates. Once again, thank you all for your lovely messages!’
Marcus Rashford scored a hat-trick as United thrashed RB Leipzig 5-0 at Old Trafford