The couple announced their intention to “step back” from their royal roles earlier this year and have since spoken out against perceived press intrusion. On Wednesday it was announced the Duke and Duchess had agreed a multi-year deal with Netflix to make documentaries, films and children’s shows.
Whilst Meghan has previously ruled out a return to acting, there is speculation they could end up appearing on the screen in some capacity.
Whilst the value of the deal has not been published many have compared it to a similar agreement Netflix reached with Barack and Michelle Obama to produce programmes.
However, a number of social media users criticised the move which they claimed will thrust the couple back into the public spotlight.
Conservative activist Chris Ross tweeted: “Harry & Meghan: Please respect our new private life.
After discussions with senior royals the couple agreed to repay the taxpayer money spent renovating Frogmore Cottage, their former home near Windsor, and to stop using their ‘Sussex Royal’ brand.
The Duke and Duchess moved to Meghan’s home town, Los Angeles, shortly before the coronavirus lockdown began.
Recently they moved to a new £11.2m home they brought in a town to the north of LA.
Reacting to the deal with Netflix the couple said: “Our lives, both independent of each other and as a couple, have allowed us to understand the power of the human spirit, of courage, resilience and the need for connection.
READ MORE: Prince Harry shock: How Duke follows Prince Edward with Netflix move
Meghan also narrated a nature documentary produced by Disney which was released in April.
Ted Sarandos, Netflix’s chief content officer, spoke about how pleased the company is to have the couple onboard.
He said: “Harry and Meghan have inspired millions of people all around the world with their authenticity, optimism and leadership.
“We’re incredibly proud they have chosen Netflix as their creative home – and are excited about telling stories with them that can help build resilience and increase understanding for audiences everywhere.”
Last month ‘Finding Freedom’, a provocative new book about the Duke and Duchess, was published.
It alleged the relationship between Prince Harry and Prince William deteriorated sharply after his relationship with Meghan began.
Both Harry and Meghan have denied making any contributions to the book.