Meghan and Prince Harry appear to be going ahead with the dismantling of the Sussex Royal Foundation, the not-for-profit organisation created in July last year but never officially launched. However, on August 5 they applied to change the name of their organisation from Sussex Royal to MWX Foundation.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex had already requested a similar change last Wednesday – but had withdrawn their application just nine minutes later.
The official change of name has left several royal watchers baffled.
Twitter user Isa wrote: “I genuinely don’t understand so if someone can explain this to me:
“1. Why would a dissolving company change its name?
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry can’t use Sussex Royal anymore following Megxit
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry now live in California
“2. And didn’t the Sussex say that they weren’t going to establish or create a foundation? So why the change from Sussex Royal to MWX foundation?”
Sharing a detailed road map of their transition from senior royals to minor ones, Meghan and Harry declared they had no intention to start a foundation.
In a lengthy statement published on their website SussexRoyal.com in February, Meghan and Harry said: “As shared in early January on this website, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not plan to start a ‘foundation’, but rather intend to develop a new way to effect change and complement the efforts made by so many excellent foundations globally.”
Another Twitter user, Pamela RG wrote: “Why change the name in the middle of liquidation for Sussex Royal?
READ MORE: Meghan Markle news: What the Duchess’ friends and family think of her
Meghan and Harry appear to have started the liquidation process of Sussex Royal
“Maybe so that they can then establish Archewell after this MWX Foundation Liquidation?”
While it could indicate a renewed interest in their first foundation, the rebranding of Sussex Royal may simply indicate Meghan and Harry’s desire to remove any reference to the Royal Family from official paperwork.
The couple agreed in January, after announcing their intention to step down as senior royals, to drop the use of ‘royal’ in any settings.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have stepped down as senior royals
Prince Harry is the only director left at the helm of MWX Foundation
In their statement on SussexRoyal.com website, Meghan and Harry also said: “While there is not any jurisdiction by The Monarchy or Cabinet Office over the use of the word ‘Royal’ overseas, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use ‘Sussex Royal’ or any iteration of the word ‘Royal’ in any territory (either within the UK or otherwise) when the transition occurs Spring 2020.”
As stated on the Companies House website, the current status of this organisation is “liquidation”.
Moreover, the couple has already announced they are working behind the scene on their next project, Archewell, for which they have filed trademark applications for a wide range of goods as well as a wellbeing website and educational material.
Commenting on the documents, financial expert Robert Leach told the MailOnline: “I have never heard of a company changing its name while it is being wound up.
Meghan Markle joined the Royal Family in May 2018
“It does take a little bit of time to wind up a company though, so perhaps it’s a break from the ‘Royal’ name for that period.
“The Companies Act 2005 section the papers quote is simply the procedure for changing a company’s name.
“A name may be changed for any reason.
“The most commons reasons are because the existing name has become toxic, because it no longer represents what the company does, or because the name is not permitted.
“In this case, it is probably the latter.
“Many terms require permission from someone to be used in a company name.
Meghan Markle is no longer a director at this foundation
“The word ‘royal’ is strictly guarded.”
The meaning of MWX hasn’t been explained by the Sussexes or their representatives.
Royal commentators have argued it may be an acronym for ‘Markle Windsor Foundation’ as well as ‘Mountbatten Windsor Foundation’.
Meghan and Harry appear to have officially started the process to shut down Sussex Royal last month.
The Companies House website shows a long series of changes logged in by the representatives of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and approved between July 28 and 29.
Most notably, all the directors, including Meghan, have now stepped down, leaving Prince Harry the only person at the helm of Sussex Royal.