Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac WON’T play for Arsenal on Sunday over ‘security fears’ after carjacking

0
20


MESUT Ozil and Sead Kolasinac will not play on Sunday because of “further security incidents” after their terrifying carjacking, Arsenal revealed tonight.

The childhood pals were targeted by moped muggers in Golder’s Green, North London last month.

Mesut Ozil will not play in the Newcastle Match
Paul Edwards – The Sun
Kolasinac has also been left out of the St James’ clash
Arsenal teammate Sead Kolasinac jumped out of Ozil’s car to fend off the attackers with his bare hands last month
The player appeared to throw a left hook at the armed thug
The Sun

Neither featured in the Emirates Cup defeat to Lyon the weekend after the attack, following talks with head coach Unai Emery.

But they were expected to be in contention to face Newcastle in the season opener.

The Sun Online understands the police are investigating a tweet that relates to the incident on July 25.

The Met Police told us: “The MPS are in contact with Arsenal FC and will investigate any offences reported appropriately.”

MOPED MUGGERS

The ordeal started at defender Kolasinac’s house in leafy Childs Hill at around 5pm on Thursday when the gang tried to steal a watch and gain access to Ozil’s black Mercedes.

Dramatic footage showed 26-year-old Kolasinac – nicknamed The Tank – leap from the £100,000 motor and fighting off the armed attackers with his bare hands.

Ozil stayed in the car with his wife Amine and the defender’s wife Bella.

After Kolasinac got back in the car, the horror continued as the moped muggers chased the players for a mile down Golders Green Road at high speed.

Even when midfielder Ozil’s car came to a halt, the helmet-wearing raiders launched stones and a brick at the 4×4’s windows.

His car was boxed in by motorbike riders wearing helmets and a video clip later emerged online showing Bosnian defender Kolasinac, who was a passenger, outside the vehicle and confronting the attackers.

A “terrified” Ozil and his wife Amine, who was in the car at the time of the attack, then abandoned the gold-trimmed SUV and fled on foot.

They took refuge in their favourite Turkish restaurant, who the star had called for help during the drama.

Staff immediately rushed to the £350,000-a-week star’s aid, piling out on to the street to help chase away the would-be carjackers.

Police rushed to the scene and cops were later spotted questioning the Gunners forward, 30.

‘ALL GOOD’

Defender Kolasinac showed the attack had not shaken him as he posted a fist emoji onto his Twitter page.

The tweet was later deleted.

In a brief interview with Sky News, he said: “We are good, me, Seo and my wife are all good, thank you.”

When asked whether the ordeal was scary, Ozil added: “It was different, but it’s OK now.”


Arsenal said in a statement: “Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac will not be part of the squad for our opening match against Newcastle United following further security incidents which are being investigated by the police.

“The welfare of our players and their families is always a top priority and we have taken this decision following discussion with the players and their representatives.

“We are liaising with the police and are providing the players and their families with ongoing support.

“We look forward to welcoming the players back to the squad as soon as possible.

“We will not be making any further comment on the matter.”

Ozil leaving Arsenal’s training grounds yesterday
ISO Images
Ozil, pictured leaving Arsenal’s training grounds yesterday, is known for his love of extravagant watches
Sead Kolasinac protected Ozil and Amine from a gang of moped muggers with knives
Mesut Ozil speaks with police after seeking refuge in a Turkish restaurant
Sun Online

We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at tips@the-sun.co.uk or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.


LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here