‘Minutes from disaster’ lad, 11, has lucky escape after Samsung tablet burns through bed

0
50


The device reportedly overheated and burned a hole in Callum Hewkin’s bed during the night – just inches from the teenager’s face.

Mum Amy Hewkin, 33, said she rushed to her son’s room last Thursday after he had complained that the device was stuck to his bed.

When Amy and her husband Stewart, 32, entered the boy’s room they say the found the tablet about to catch fire.

The married couple, from Burntwood, Staffordshire, said they were unaware Callum had taken the gadget into his room because they enforce a strict ‘no-electricals’ at night rule.

Assistant manager Stewart said: “The last thing anyone wants is to wake up and find their child seriously injured or dead because a tablet or phone has set fire in their room.

‘Minutes from disaster’ lad, 11, has lucky escape after Samsung tablet burns through bed

CLOSE: Tablet burnt a hole in boy’s bed – just inches from his face (Pic: Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service WS)

“We feel like we’ve had a lucky escape – Callum’s life could have been at risk”

Stewart Hewkin

“We feel like we’ve had a lucky escape – Callum’s life could have been at risk. ‘We had no idea he even had his tablet in his room, he had snuck it into bed with him because he wanted to watch something in bed.

‘When I came downstairs in the morning at about 7am, I thought I could smell burning plastic and rubber but dismissed it as we live near factories.

“‘But the next minute I could hear my wife screaming to come upstairs.

“I went into Callum’s room and there was a big burn mark right by where his head had been, and the room was full of white smoke.

“We have no idea how he didn’t wake up but it goes to show how serious it could have been.

‘Minutes from disaster’ lad, 11, has lucky escape after Samsung tablet burns through bed

DANGEROUS: Charred remain of Sumsung tablet (Pic: Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service WS)

‘Minutes from disaster’ lad, 11, has lucky escape after Samsung tablet burns through bed

HORROR: Device was minutes from catching light, firefighters said (Pic: Getty)

“I was gobsmacked, I never thought it would happen to us or that something like that even could happen – you don’t expect an iPad or tablet to just start burning like that.”

Callum’s bedroom door is said to have blocked the heavy smoke coming from the tablet escaping into the rest of the house, setting off the fire alarm and alerting his parents.

Amy and Stewart only became aware of the imminent danger when their son woke up and sounded the alarm.

Firefighters who attended the family home said that had the device been left for another 10 minutes it could have started an inferno that would have put them all at risk.

Calum said that he had used the original charger provided with the Samsung device and that the near miss had left him feeling anxious and stressed.

‘Minutes from disaster’ lad, 11, has lucky escape after Samsung tablet burns through bed

WARNING: Stewart urged parents to check their children’s beds at night for devices (Pic: Getty)

Following the horrifying ordeal, Stewart urged parents to check on their children at night to ensure they don’t have tablets or gadgets in bed.

He said: “We went to bed the next night and we didn’t put our phones on charge or anything, we turned off all the plugs by the wall.

“We were terrified it could happen again.

“The plug and cable were still in perfect condition and it can’t be our home’s electrics because they didn’t trip.

“How could this not be a faulty tablet, when the battery itself has basically exploded? It is quite terrifying.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here