‘New beginning’ for Royal Family promised by Queen Elizabeth II after Megxit drama

6 mins read


After the Duke and Duchess of Sussex told the Queen they would not be returning to working royal life, their military appointments and patronages were vacated. Now, sources claim the Queen will work with other royals to “put on a united front” in the wake of ‘Megxit’.

The Queen, following Meghan and Harry’s final decision to step back from the Royal Family, “considers the matter closed”.

Now the Sussexes are confirmed to be out, the Queen has given the all-clear to what Palace officials call the ‘Magnificent Seven’ to carry out public engagements.

This includes Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, Prince William and Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, Princess Anne, Prince Edward and his wife Sophie, Countess of Wessex.

Royal sources told the Sunday Mirror the Queen wants to draw a line under “Megxit”.

READ MORE: Queen to break incredible record set by Queen Mother with great-grandchildren

Last year, the Sussexes were granted a 12-month “Megxit” review period during which they would step back from royal duties but retain patronages.

In a recent conversation between the Queen and the Duke over the Sussexes future, Harry was reportedly told their multi-million dollar deals and commercial interests cannot fit with their status as public servants.

One official close to the matter claimed to the Daily Mail the monarch snapped at Harry.

She is said to have told the Duke: “You work for the monarchy, the monarchy doesn’t work for you.”

Harry and Meghan had all their royal roles stripped by the Queen after they informed her they would not work as full time royals.

The titles lost include Harry’s appointments with The Royal Marines, RAF Honington and the Royal Navy Small Ships and Diving, in addition to his patronages for the Rugby Football Union and the Rugby Football League.

Royal expert Charlie Lankston said to Access: “We know that Harry has a great love of the military, we know he was devastated when he had to step away from active duty many years ago.

“And that, I think, is going to be what really hurts him the most. Having to give up the titles he worked so hard to get in the first place.

“They will still be the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, they will still be able to use His and Her Royal Highness however it is understood they will not use those titles in day to day life whenever they are doing any kind of professional job.”

DON’T MISS
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry ‘resentful and bitter’ in statement [INSIGHT]
Royal LIVE: Meghan and Harry embrace new US challenge [LIVE BLOG]
Eugenie and Jack adopt ‘non-royal’ poses for first family portrait [ANALYSIS]

Buckingham Palace said in a statement confirming the Sussexes status: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have confirmed to Her Majesty The Queen that they will not be returning as working members of The Royal Family.
“Following conversations with The Duke, The Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of The Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service.
“The honorary military appointments and Royal patronages held by The Duke and Duchess will therefore be returned to Her Majesty, before being redistributed among working members of The Royal Family.
“While all are saddened by their decision, The Duke and Duchess remain much loved members of the family.”

In response, a spokesperson for the Sussex royals said: “As evidenced by their work over the past year, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex remain committed to their duty and service to the UK and around the world, and have offered their continued support to the organisations they have represented regardless of official role.

“We can all live a life of service. Service is universal.”

A Sussex source said to The Times after the statement was released: “There is no hiding that this is a difference of opinion.”

Robert Lacey, royal historian, also described it as “a definite pushback at the palace”.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Previous Story

Novak Djokovic reigns supreme at Australian Open but calls Daniil Medvedev ‘the man to beat’

Next Story

A fan trolled Myles Turner on Venmo. He flipped the fiasco into a fundraiser for Texans.

Latest from Blog