Home News Prince Harry leaves everyone at Invictus 'gutted' as Netflix deal blamed for...

Prince Harry leaves everyone at Invictus 'gutted' as Netflix deal blamed for ruining event

0


The Duke and Duchess of Sussex had been scheduled to attend a fundraiser for the Paralympic- style competition at the Hollywood Bowl next June. Rival streaming service Amazon was reportedly going to stream the event, while Beyonce and Ed Sheeran performed. The aim was to raise crucial funds for the charity, which admitted its “pot is pretty empty”.

But lawyers for the couple contacted officials at the foundation to cancel the project, leaving those them “stunned”, it has been claimed.

They were told there was a “conflict” over the plans due to their new Netflix deal.

A source involved in the project said: “It’s very bad form and everyone at Invictus is gutted.

“Harry said yes to doing this last year and everything was still moving forwards until a few weeks ago.

“This was going to be a big moment for Invictus where the pot is pretty empty, and it has left them in the lurch.”

The insider told the Sunday Times: “Harry needs to pull his finger out to find another way to raise funds for them.”

An Invictus spokesman later said the event was shelved due to the “current circumstances with Covid”.

Dominic Reid, the chief executive, previously said fundraising will need to be “more professional” in future.

READ MORE: ‘Meghan changed Harry too much’ Confession from Duke’s friend

Now Meghan and Harry are focusing on their multi-year Netflix project.

They will make documentaries, feature films, scripted television series and children’s shows.

In a statement, they said their programmes would “inform and give hope”.

This would be through “powerful storytelling through a truthful and relatable lens” to “help us share impactful content that unlocks action”.

An Invictus spokesman said: “The event was shelved because the primary revenue generator was ticket sales from a live concert in Los Angeles in the spring of 2021.

“Given current circumstances with Covid, the event needed to be reconceptualised.

“This was an independent decision made prior to a partnership with Netflix.

“The Duke remains committed as ever to the Invictus Games.”



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here