Prolific thief filmed brazenly stealing woman's handbag at Heathrow Airport


Kiberom Fikadu, 31, was jailed for two years and four months at Isleworth Crown Court yesterday after targeting a number of people at the airport and Paddington train station.

In the clip of one of Fikadu’s thefts, filmed on January 3, he can be seen placing his coat over a victim’s handbag before gradually pulling it closer towards him.

Moments later, he takes a glance around before lifting them both up and walking away.

Fikadu was caught by police on January 10, after a member of staff thought he was acting suspiciously.

Investigating officer PC Munnelly found Fikadu hiding behind a newspaper and almost immediately recognised him as a man caught on CCTV stealing a suitcase from Heathrow Airport days earlier.

When he searched the criminal, he discovered he was carrying two passports which had that month been reported as stolen.

He was also carrying a lock knife, two laptops and cannabis.

The officers arrested him on suspicion of theft, possession of a bladed article and possession of a Class B drug.

PC Munnelly said: “Fikadu looked for people who were either reading, busy chatting or eating, and helped himself to their belongings.


THEFT: Fikadu was caught on CCTV stealing (Pic: METROPOLITAN POLICE)

“His actions are a reminder of the importance of staying alert and keeping your possessions in sight at all times when you are travelling.’

Fikadu was also identified as the culprit of the theft of a wallet from a man on a train in Sussex on January 6, 2019.

And the following day he was caught on CCTV accidentally leaving the wallet behind at a money exchange shop at Heathrow Airport.

Thanks to diligent staff realising the driving license photo were not the same as Fikadu, they called the police.

Fikadu was charged with the theft of the laptops and handling stolen goods.


CAPTURED: Fikadu was filmed hiding the victim’s handbag under his coat (Pic: METROPOLITAN POLICE)

He pleaded guilty to these offences at North West London Magistrates’ Court on February 22.

After refusing to leave his prison cell, Fikadu was found guilty of the thefts of the passport and suitcase on February 27.

One count of theft of a mobile phone was dismissed.

Speaking after sentencing yesterday, PC Barry Munnelly said: “Each of Fikadu’s thefts caused distress and disruption to the victims. I am pleased that we have been able to bring him to justice.”

It comes after London was hit with a quadruple stabbing. 


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here