“I’m very tired of all the lies”
The under-fire singer arrived at a Chicago court on Wednesday for a status hearing in relation to a sexual assault case that could end in the 52-year-old spending decades behind bars.
Flanked by a large entourage, Kelly appeared on the brink of tears as he entered the Leighton Criminal Courts Building.
Once inside, Kelly watched on as prosecuting lawyers handed over what they said was a DVD, understood to have been made in the 90s, showing the R&B singer having sex with a child.
Judge Lawrence Ford placed a protective order on the footage and warned against leaking it.
He added: “If there’s any violation of this protective order, I’m going to impose sanctions, severe sanctions.
“I want everybody on notice with that. Plus, there could be criminal implications to violation of this protective order.”
The judge then penned a trial start date for early 2020.
After the hearing, Kelly’s spokesman Darrell Johnson said he looked forward to the start of the trial.
Earlier this year, Kelly was charged with 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse – understood to involve four alleged victims, including three who the prosecution said were underage at the time.
He was also handed 11 further charges relating to one of the four women, which include criminal sexual abuse, aggravated criminal sexual assault and criminal sexual assault – a class X felony.
Class X felonies carry up to a 30-year prison term.
Kelly strongly denies the allegations made against him.
In an explosive interview with CBS back in March, Kelly said: “I’m very tired of all the lies. I’ve been hearing things and seeing things on all of the blogs and I’m just tired.”