On July 26, the UN human rights office reported that at least 450 civilians have been killed since late April, including more than a hundred in the previous two weeks.
“There is no refuge for the people of Idlib,” Mr Lowcock stressed. “Hundreds of them have been killed, hundreds more injured, 440,000 of them displaced, but there is nowhere else for them to go.”
Susannah Sirkin, policy director at Physicians for Human Rights, told the council that since Syria launched its offensive the organisation had received reports of 46 attacks on health care facilities. So far, she said, it has verified 16 of them.
Ms Sirkin said many health facilities in Idlib have been forced out of service and accused Syria and Russia of continuing to target them.
Vassily Nebenzia, Russia’s UN ambassador, said it was a “lie” that Moscow was deliberately conducting airstrikes targeting hospitals and schools.