The wrestling world is grappling with COVID-19.
Multiple WWE employees — including in-ring talent — have tested positive for the coronavirus, according to multiple reports, while AEW world champion Jon Moxley has been pulled from the company’s live TV taping Wednesday night after having secondhand exposure to someone who has been infected.
Pro Wrestling Sheet reports that WWE had at least three people working at their performance center in Orlando who have contracted the virus. The WWE medical team is currently performing more tests. Last week, a WWE developmental talent also tested positive for the coronavirus, closing production for a day. The WWE resumed filming shows at the performance center — located in what currently has one of the fastest-rising outbreaks in the world — after all other employees had tested negative.
Moxley, a former WWE talent, alerted AEW when he learned he’d been in the presence of someone who’d been with someone with COVID-19. It is unclear if he has also contracted the virus.
“Recently @JonMoxley had contact with someone who had contact with someone who has COVID-19. Mox did the right thing & warned us. Doc asked him to stay home & get tested to protect us here at our test site. Cage will be in action tonight on #AEWDynamite ahead of their title fight,” AEW President Tony Khan tweeted.
“Jon Moxley can get slammed on a car, crawl through tacks & fall through the stage, but it’s every bit as cool that he came forward & told us he’d had secondhand exposure to COVID. We test everyone here at #AEWDynamite, but Jon protected everyone onsite like the great champ he is”
Fellow AEW wrestler QT Marshall also was scratched from his scheduled match Wednesday, having come into contact with someone who tested positive for the coronavirus.
WWE in a statement Wednesday said it would continue the coronavirus testing of “its talent, production crew and employees in advance of TV productions for the foreseeable future.”