The Duke of Sussex remains sixth-in-line to the throne despite informing the Queen he has no intention of returning to the Royal Family. Last week, Harry and Meghan Markle told Buckingham Palace they would continue living their private life in the US and would not return as working members of the Royal Family. A YouGov poll released today has found 49 percent of Britons believe Harry should be removed from his place in the line of succession and should not be eligible to become King.
The snap survey of more than 4,000 UK adults found just 28 percent thought the Queen’s grandson should not be removed.
Meanwhile, the remaining 24 percent of participants remained unsure.
The results of the survey also suggested the older generation were more in favour of Harry being dismissed from the line of succession, compared to younger people.
The poll found 62 percent of those aged over 65 years old were in favour of Harry being removed – compared to just 28 percent of people aged between 18-24.
Prince Charles in the longest-ever heir-to-the-throne following the historic reign of his mother, the Queen, which has lasted more than 68 years.
Prince William is currently second-in-line followed by his three children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
Last Friday, Buckingham Palace announced the Queen had removed royal patronages and military appointments from Harry and Meghan following their decision not to come back to The Firm.
Harry has been forced to relinquish a number of high-profile positions, including as Captain General of the Royal Marines.
The Duke of Sussex also had to stand down from his role as Honorary Air Force Commandant of the Royal Air Force Base Honington and Honorary Commodore-in-Chief of the Royal Naval Commands’ Small Ships and Diving.
The 36-year-old served a decade in the Armed Forces and conducted two tours of Afghanistan.
Royal commentator Hugo Vickers argued Harry should now go one step further and stand aside from the line of succession.
He said: “Harry is no longer fully able to support his Royal titles from that distance, although a lucrative deal with Netflix suggests he is willing to cash in on them nonetheless.
“And he is certainly doing little for his nation in comparison with the many hard-working – and less senior – royals who toil in their duties uncomplainingly.
“That is why I now believe Harry must take one step further still and do the only honourable thing in the circumstances: offer to step aside from the line of succession.
“As the sixth in line to the throne, it would take a catastrophic turn of events for him to be called upon as King. But there remains the chance, and it is only sensible that Harry and the Palace advisers at least consider the possibility.
READ MORE: Brexit LIVE: Furious Boris to hit back after Brussels snub
“Her Majesty cannot remove her grandson from the line of succession without it seeming vindictive, something she is most certainly not. Duty comes first, but she is fond of her family.
“Yet the alternative, that Harry maintains a claim to the throne, is equally unthinkable. Harry has already made it very clear that he was unhappy in his role as a working member of the Royals. So why would he not take the final step and move aside?”
The YouGov survey asked 4,203 UK adults on Monday, February 22.