Tragic boy, 2, died after plunging from faulty first-floor window just seconds after mum left him playing


A TRAGIC toddler died after falling from a faulty first-floor window when his mum left him playing for just seconds, an inquest heard yesterday.

T-Jay Dedman died of traumatic head injuries in hospital six days after the horror plunge on November 17 last year.

PA:Press Association

T-Jay Dedman with mum Chelsey Wall, who had left her son for just a few seconds before his horror fall[/caption]

PA:Press Association

Little T-Jay was found crying on the street with traumatic head injuries after plunging from a first-floor window[/caption]

The two-year-old was found on the pavement by a horrified passerby outside a family friend’s house in Tuebrook, Liverpool.

A hearing at the city’s Gerard Majella Courthouse was told that mum Chelsey Wall had been with T-Jay and her friend’s three children while her pal was out at the shop.

Ms Wall, 26, who attended the inquest with her dad and brother, told how she tried to get T-Jay and her friend’s two-year-old to come out of the bedroom.

Little T-Jay had been playing on a rocking horse with the other toddler when Chelsey went downstairs to check on her pal’s seven-year-old daughter who was making a gingerbread house.


It was then that the panicked passer by knocked at the door to tell her that they had found little T-Jay crying in the street.

A tearful Ms Wall said: “Literally within seconds the door knocked.”

Coroner Andre Rebello said: “T-Jay had been playing in the bedroom and it is unclear how the window was open, however the window restrictor device was broken, enabling him to fall.”

The faulty window restrictor had been reported to the landlord in early November – but had still not been fixed by the time of of T-Jay’s fatal fall.

Ms Wall said the window had been closed when she left the room – meaning the toddler was able to open it.

It gives me strength to know he is watching me and I’ll carry him in my heart till I die.

Chelsey WallT-Jay's mum

The coroner said: “This was an accident and I am going to record it as an accidental death.”

Speaking after the inquest, an emotional Ms Wall, who now lives in Cornwall, paid tribute to her toddler.

She said: “He changed my life.

“It gives me strength to know he is watching me and I’ll carry him in my heart till I die.

“He made an impact on everyone he met.”

She said the toddler was a “miracle” baby as she had believed she was unable to have children.

She said: “I didn’t know what love was until I had a baby.”

Mr Rebello told the family: “It is very difficult in two years to go from one of the happiest things you can do to have to bury a child.

“During that time there will have been so much joy and happiness that should never be forgotten because that was T-Jay, not the tragedy and trauma that has occurred since November.”

The court heard T-Jay was taken by ambulance to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital and was initially stable.

But his condition deteriorated and he died on November 23.

PA:Press Association

T-Jay fell from the first floor after climbing through a faulty window[/caption]

We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at or call 0207 782 4368. You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here