Trevor Lawrence says his team wants to play.
Clemson’s star quarterback reiterated the sentiment that he is “100 percent committed” to playing the 2020 football season, writing on Twitter Saturday night, ‘I don’t know about y’all, but we want to play.”
After losing to 2020 first-overall draft pick Joe Burrow and LSU in the national championship last year, Lawrence and the Clemson football team appear to be pushing for the college football season to go on despite concerns over the coronavirus pandemic.
“Everyone’s thought about it, but since I made the decision to play, I haven’t thought about it,” Lawrence said after Clemson’s practice Friday, per ESPN. “I’m committed. It’s my last year here … and I’m super pumped.”
Lawrence wants to play despite his status as the probable No. 1 pick in the 2021 NFL Draft. Other top 2021 NFL Draft prospects like Penn State’s Micah Parsons, Virginia Tech’s Caleb Farley and Minnesota’s Rashod Bateman have opted out of the 2020 college season.
The Mid-American Conference announced this weekend that it has postponed its entire fall sports season, which made it the first FBS conference to make the heavily debated decision to cancel football over COVID-19 concerns.
Last week, UConn announced its football season will be canceled, the first FBS school to do take that measure.