Two-month-old baby girl dies after ‘parents let her have heroin and cocaine’

0
47


A BABY girl died of an overdose after her sick parents let her have heroin and cocaine, police say.

Eugene Chandler, 27, and Shaleigh Brumfield, 26, were charged on Tuesday over the death of their two-month-old daughter Marleigh Chandler.

AP:Associated Press

Eugene Chandler, 27, is charged with homicide and child neglect over the drugs death of his two-month-old baby[/caption]

AP:Associated Press

Shaleigh Brumfield, 26, has also been charged over her daughter’s November death[/caption]

Their arrests come seven months after cops found Marleigh’s lifeless body at the couple’s home in Danville, Virginia.

Police responded to an emergency call to the address and performed CPR on tragic Marleigh on November 24, 2018.

The stricken newborn was then rushed to the SOVAH Health emergency room – where she was pronounced dead.

She showed no signs of physical abuse, authorities said at the time of her death.

DRUGS IN SYSTEM

But an autopsy later revealed the baby girl died of “acute heroin and cocaine intoxication”.

She had also been “co-sleeping” with her parents – meaning they shared just one bed.


Danville Police Lieutenant Richard Chivvis said: “The child had enough cocaine and heroin metabolites in her system to kill her.”

On Monday, Brumfield and Chandler were charged with felony homicide and neglect of a child.

They are being held in Danville City jail without bail ahead of their trial.


We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at tips@the-sun.co.uk or call 0207 782 4368. You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here