TYSON FURY facing former IBF heavyweight champion Charles Martin is a “real possibility” US promoter Bob Arum revealed.
Top Rank chief Arum reportedly wants the Gypsy King to make a return to the ring in September in Las Vegas – opposed to prior plans for a New York comeback in October.
Former Anthony Joshua foe Martin – who in 2016 sat down for AJ after two rounds in what was the Brit’s coronation night – was a rumoured opponent for Fury in September.
Promoter Arum confirmed to Barbershop Conversations the ex-world champion is in line to face the Gypsy King, with PBC boss Al Haymon discussing terms for the fight.
The Top Rank boss said: “It’s a real possibility.
“Al is talking to Charles Martin about the fight and it looks like that could come together.
“Martin would be a credible opponent for Fury.”
Former IBF champion Martin only won the vacant belt after Vyacheslav Glazkov hurt his knee during their 2016 fight.
The self-proclaimed “Prince” put in a dismal display against Joshua three years ago at the O2 Arena.
After falling victim to two counter right hands that sat Martin on the seat of his pants, the American looked content to remain on the deck and pocket his £5million purse in peace.
Two victories this year, over Gregory Corbin and Daniel Martz, has the PBC promoted heavyweight gaining momentum.
But accessing Martin as a step up from Fury’s last opponent Tom Schwarz in terms of a test in the ring is hard to judge, though the southpaw certainly comes with much higher recognition.
After the Gypsy King highly impressed on his Vegas debut, blasting out an undermatched opponent in style, Arum and UK promoter Frank Warren detailed plans to fight a US name next.
Fury wanted drug banned Jarrell Miller – who is still serving a six month suspension following failed tests prior to his proposed world title fight against Joshua in June.
Unbeaten Trevor Bryan was also named by the 30-year-old traveller, who is by far the most competitive fight for the Brit ahead of his rematch with Wilder next year.
Fury claims the second fight against the WBC king is “signed” for February.
Though The Bronze Bomber’s co-manager Shelly Finkel confirmed to SunSport last week no date for the rematch has been finalised.
Martin stands at 6ft 5in, the same as Schwarz, who was selected to help Fury prepare to face 6ft 7in Wilder.
The main concern, however, is Martin is a southpaw.
Most Read in Boxing
But Fury boxed Francesco Pianeta, also a lefty, in the bout before he was unlucky not to have outpointed Wilder last December.
Arum claims a decision for Fury’s next fight will be announced tomorrow.
He said: “We’re gonna decide that. That will come together by Wednesday. We’ll have an announcement.”