Home Sport UEFA president confident Euro 2020 will take place in 2021 but there...

UEFA president confident Euro 2020 will take place in 2021 but there could be less than 12 hosts


‘We are absolutely sure it will go ahead’: UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin is confident Euro 2020 WILL take place in 2021… but it could be staged in 11, eight, five or even just ONE country instead of planned 12

  • Euro 2020 was rescheduled to take place next year due to the coronavirus crisis 
  • There has been a fresh wave of Covid-19 cases across Europe in recent weeks 
  • This has raised questions whether the tournament can still go ahead next year
  • UEFA’s president insists it will go ahead but is not sure which cities will host

UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin says he is confident the postponed Euro 2020 tournament will go ahead next year despite a fresh wave of Covid-19 cases across Europe, though it could be staged in fewer than the planned 12 countries if necessary.

The 24-team tournament was pushed back by a year due to the pandemic but a new surge of novel coronavirus infections has raised doubts over whether it can be played in the rescheduled June-July 2021 slot.

‘We are always concerned about the situation (but) we are absolutely sure that the Euro will be played,’ Ceferin told the Spanish pay TV network Movistar+.

UEFA boss Aleksander Ceferin insists Euro 2020 will go ahead next year despite Covid crisis

UEFA boss Aleksander Ceferin insists Euro 2020 will go ahead next year despite Covid crisis

The tournament was pushed back till next year though there might not be as many hosts

The tournament was pushed back till next year though there might not be as many hosts

‘The plan is that we do the Euro exactly as it is.

‘But I have to say that, instead of 12 countries, we could do a Euro instead in 11, in eight, in five or in one country.’

He added that it was too soon to say whether matches would be played without spectators, in full stadiums or with reduced capacities.

Ceferin also said he liked the idea of finishing the Champions League with a week-long ‘final four’ tournament and it was something to be considered for the next competition cycle, starting with the 2024-25 season.

Ceferin added that it was 'too soon' to say whether matches would be behind closed doors

Ceferin added that it was ‘too soon’ to say whether matches would be behind closed doors

Last season’s competition finished with a ‘final eight’ tournament with matches from the quarter-final onwards played over two weeks in Lisbon in a single-game knockout format.

It was initially intended as a one-off response to the COVID-19 pandemic, which halted play for several months.

‘The system last year was an interesting system and the feedback from the clubs that participated was that they were very happy with it,’ he said.

‘A final eight is probably very hard to do calendar-wise, but for me … a final four, a week of football, might be a great event.’

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Trump administration will remove protections from Alaska rainforest

Trump administration will open up 9.3 million acres of Alaska's Tongass...

The impossible is now possible! Paul Elliott believes there will be a black leader of the PFA

Paul Elliott pauses briefly to collect his thoughts. He’s just been asked whether he believes there will be a black leader of the...

Ex-DEA spokesman gets 7 years in prison for posing as CIA agent

A former spokesman for the Drug Enforcement Administration was sentenced to 7 years in prison Wednesday for posing as a CIA agent on...

Stepmother 'beat six-year-old girl to death with belt for wetting bed'

Stepmother 'beat six-year-old girl to death by whipping her with a...

Recent Comments