Made in China but on sale across the UK and Ireland, the pots of slime pretending to be ‘unicorn magic poo’ have been tested and found to contain too much of a chemical element called boron.
If a child playing with the gunge accidentally swallowed some of it, their reproductive system could be damaged, hitting their future hopes of having babies and even making them infertile.
The slime, sold in tubs made to look like poo, have been taken off the shelves of Amazon, Claire’s Accessories, and Hawkins Bazaar.
The toy manufacturer Tobar has recalled two versions – its bright pink ‘unicorn magic poo (27433)’ and its brown ‘magic poo (18977)’ from retailers.
It means those particular products will no longer be sent to stores and any already on the shelves will be removed from sale.
The urgant safety recall comes after one batch of the slime, with a batch number of K17 and K18, was found to contain too much boron.
Affected batches contain 1,300mg/kg of boron when EU rules state that the safety limit is 300mg/kg for slime, and 1,200mg/kg for putty.
Tobar stressed that due to the age of the affected batch and the short shelf life of the product, there’s no risk to the public.
Had there been, it would have issued a consumer recall telling shoppers to return the 50,000 toys it’s already sold in exchange for a full refund.
A spokesperson for Tobar said “Following a deviation from the formula in the manufacturing factory, a batch of the product did not meet the EU requirement for boron.
“The EU does have a measure for boron, countries like the United States do not.
“After one batch of the product was found to be non-compliant, Tobar instigated the withdrawal of all the products from sale, not just the affected batch.
“We liaised with our trading standards partners and they were happy for us to take this pro-active approach.”
For any parents who has bought the slime, it’s down to the retailer to decide whether to offer a refund for unwanted goods.
They will usually offer this within 14 to 30 days from purchase.
Online, you have a 14-day cooling-off period to tell retailers you no longer want the item and to return it.
Typically the only exceptions to this are personalised items and fresh goods.
The official health and safety warning said “The migration of boron from the slime / putty is too high (measured value up to 1300 mg/kg).
“Ingestion or contact with an excessive quantity of boron may harm the health of children by damaging their reproductive system.
“The product does not comply with the requirements of the Toy Safety Directive and the relevant European standard EN 71-3.
“Measures taken by economic operators: Withdrawal of the product from the market (by: manufacturer)”Description: Small pot of toy putty / slime.
“Country of origin: China”Alert submitted by United Kingdom”Type of alert: Serious”Products were found and measures were taken also in Ireland.”