US soldier who witnessed UFO incident dubbed ‘Britain’s Roswell’ comes forward

0
14


ANOTHER veteran US serviceman has broken his silence about witnessing Britain’s most famous UFO encounter nearly 40 years ago.

Ex-sgt Michael Smith has revealed officially for the first time that he also saw the strange activity in 1980 in the Suffolk countryside.

A drawing of the craft seen during the unexplained incident
A drawing of the craft seen during the unexplained incident
Alamy
An information board in Rendlesham Forest
An information board in Rendlesham Forest
Alamy
A UFO trail sign at Rendlesham Forest, which has become a tourist hotspot
A UFO trail sign at Rendlesham Forest, which has become a tourist hotspot
Getty – Contributor

Back in 2016 Steve Longero, who was a young US Air Force police officer working at bases RAF Bentwaters and RAF Woodbridge, came forward about witnessing strange lights while on duty.  

Now Smith, then a 19-year-old member of the 81st Airborne Police Squadron at RAF Bentwaters, said: “A month before the base was put on alert and I was called out and I got onto as bunker by one of the gates.

“I was having a pee outside when I saw an orange glowing light in the woods — it was a reddish ball.

“It stopped right in front of me — it just stayed there and hovered two feet off the ground and I called for reinforcements I was scared to death.”

Ever since the incident theories and rumours have grown only last year there were claims that the Rendlesham Forest Incident as it has become known was in fact a prank played on the US air force by the SAS.


The Rendlesham Forest incident: Britain’s most famous UFO sighting

The Rendlesham Forest incident took place in December 1980 over a series of at least two nights.

On December 26, 1980, military personnel at the twin bases of RAF Bentwaters and RAF Woodbridge in Suffolk saw a strange light in Rendlesham Forest, which lies between the two bases.

Three men were sent out to investigate where two of them encountered a small, triangularshaped craft.

One man, Jim Penniston, got close enough to touch the side of the object.

He and another of the airmen present, John Burroughs, made sketches of the craft for witness statements.

Two nights later Deputy Base Commander, Lieutenant Colonel Charles Halt and his team then encountered the UFO.

He said later: “Here I am, a senior official who routinely denies this sort of thing and diligently works to debunk them, and I’m involved in the middle of something I can’t explain.”
Despite an MOD investigation the Rendlesham Forest incident remains unexplained.

Dubbed “Britain’s Roswell” the reported sightings and contacts with aliens took place over a series of nights in December 1980 and the incident continues to fascinate UFO enthusiasts and conspiracy theorists.

The Ministry of Defence stated at the time that the event posed no threat to national security, and it therefore was never fully investigated.

Sceptics have explained the sightings as a misinterpretation of a series of nocturnal lights, a fireball, the beam from the Orfordness Lighthouse or even bright stars.

The Rendlesham Forest incident
Despite an MOD investigation the Rendlesham Forest incident remains unexplained (stock image)
Getty Images
Steve Longero has remained tight-lipped for more than three decades
Steve Longero has remained tight-lipped for more than three decades
The Rendlesham Forest incident
A UFO trail sign at Rendlesham Forest, which has become a tourist hotspot
Getty Images
The Rendlesham Forest
The Rendlesham Forest incident took place in December 1980 and has been dubbed Britain’s Roswell
Alamy

We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at tips@the-sun.co.uk or call 0207 782 4368. You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.


 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here