Tensions between North and South Korea have been rising in the wake of Kim Jong-un’s regime blowing up a liaison office with South Korea on the border. The US currently has 24,000 troops stationed in South Korea and remains an ally in the fight against the North.
As the countries commemorated the 70th anniversary of the start of the Korean war, when the North invaded the South, Pyongyang’s embassy in Russia issued a menacing statement.
North Korea marked the anniversary with visits by its citizens to monuments to soldiers as well as with anti-US. rhetoric.
North Korea also released newspaper editorials praising its fighting in the Fatherland Liberation War.
North Korea said it would deploy its nuclear weapons against the US in “a particularly sensational event” should war break out again.
North Korea has threatened to use nuclear weapons on the United States
Tensions between North and South Korea have been rising in the wake of Kim Jong-un’s regime blowing up a liaison office
A statement carried by the Russian state-owned news agency TASS said Pyongyang was “capable of mercilessly punishing those who dare to raise their hand at it”.
The threats come in the wake of reports suggesting Pyongyang is stockpiling nuclear weapons.
The reports came as South Korea moved troops to the border in response to the North’s aggression.
“This year, the US military has been carrying out various kinds of military maneuvers in South Korea and its vicinity with the purpose of striking North Korea quickly,” said its statement.
JUST IN: Kate Middleton and Prince William share the one off limits discipline
North Korea said it would deploy its nuclear weapons against the US in ‘a particularly sensational event’ should war break out again
“A new round of the Korean War will add a particularly sensational event to the history of mankind, which will put an end to another empire, whose name is the United States.”
An institute run by the North’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement that “we will continue to build up our strength to overwhelm the persistent nuclear threats that the US has launched at us”.
In South Korea Defence Minister Jeong Kyeong-doo and military leaders paid their respects at a national cemetery in Seoul, where about 130,000 war dead are buried.
On Wednesday, North Korea said leader Kim Jong-Un put off planned steps to end the 2018 deals with South Korea after he and other senior ruling party officials in charge of military affairs took stock of the prevailing situation.
Kim Jong-un: Plans for ‘US ground invasion’ of North Korea exposed [LATEST]
What’s Kim up to? North Korea satellite images set alarm bells ringing [UPDATE]
North Korea launches bold policy to stop those who ‘betray’ Kim [ANALYSIS]
The threats come in the wake of reports suggesting Pyongyang is stockpiling nuclear weapons
The reports came as South Korea moved troops to the border in response to the North’s aggression
North Korea has momentarily suspended its military aggression towards the South, but a defence secretary warned the dictatorship could strike at any time not with its nuclear arsenal, but with its masses of biological weaponry.
Kim Jong-un gave a statement last week saying that he had taken the “prevailing situation” into consideration and decided to do a U-turn.
Pressure had been mounting from the North in recent weeks with a string of threats – both verbal and physical.
The first came after 500,000 balloons landed in the North from the South, each carrying anti-Kim propaganda leaflets.
Kim’s sister, Kim Yo-jong branded those responsible for the leaflets as “human scum” calling the South “the enemy”.
After cutting a telecommunications line between the two that had been in daily use between Pyongyang and Seoul since 2018, Yo-jong said further strategic military action would follow.
A few days later, the North blew up a joint liaison office with the South in the border city of Kaesong.
Although tensions have since simmered, many experts have reasoned that the North will likely bare its teeth later in the year.
Kim Yo-jong branded those responsible for the leaflets as ‘human scum’
The US has since been forced to devise several protocols and action plans due to fears North Korea will use nuclear weapons.
One plot is known as the “decapitation” method.
In his 2018 report, journalist Yochi Dreazen explained how “decapitation strikes are part of the current US and South Korean war plan for a conflict with North Korea”.
Dubbed OPLAN 5015, the war plan explicitly talks about targeting Kim, his inner circle, and other top leadership figures.
The plan looks to remove “Kim and his inner circle, most likely by assassination, and replacing the leadership with a more moderate regime willing to open North Korea to the rest of the world”.